Critiques of work in progress at the UW Rome Center, evening of October 23 . . .
[and since the brief notes are of little value to you, dear reader, without visual aid or some sort of context, I will add if possible a short description of the work being critiqued -- ed.]
- Brando [two large black and white drawings of a featureless human in a dark, amorphous space]
- bodies / motion
- moving ... where?
- self-portrait -> eyes closed
- meditative state
- a sense of place
Relation to Rome?
-> How a body relates to space / occupies space
- Paolo [a very large drawing of the facade of Paris' Notre Dame, made up of several sheets of drawing paper connected together]
- flew off to Paris for a weekend, drew Notre Dame monuments
- portals ->statement of the building
- tourist takes a snapshot
- distortion of the source
- Gaea[two pieces: one, a painting; another, soft amoebic sculptural shapes in bright primary colors]
- 3-D self-portrait "baby in photo"
- transparent substrate -
- work on back
- Objects - orange? tomato?
- baby doll 8" tall torch thing
- stuffed "animal"
- Me [an Italian newspaper, disfigured in various ways to make it as difficult for Italians to read as it is for me]
- -- Palette to be used to manipulate.
- -- Communication: what is your take on how the confusion of language barriers manifest themselves.
- -- suggestions for use of "stuff"
- juxtaposition of image and words
- combination of US/English/Italian words
- Using patterns of words as pattern to build images
- -- What is the importance for you of the transparent nature created by gesso.
- -- Importance of the fact that people could read the Italian text as is.
- -- Joni - emphasize what is your intention of communication theme & creating your frustration of language -- How can you best create a universal sense of frustration.
- -- Layne - suggested using real newspapers as source of physical sketch to use gessoed pages.
- -- Think about how the importance of thin transparent paper nature is to your feeling of frustration towards communication.
- -- Laura - highly suggests X-acto knife.
- -- Infinite # of variables for how to obscure text & importance of communication.
- -- Interest in image of city/colored & possibilities of working text w/ image.
back to kellytravels index page | gabinetto delle stampe